I‘ve got a weak spot for those icy cold chocolate flavored coffee drinks. You know the ones sold at Starbucks, Sonic & now even at McDonald’s covered in mounds of delicious cream? They’re everywhere! And they cost a fortune if you get one on a regular basis at all. Then try multiplying that by two if your spouse wants one! So what’s a cheap money smart girl like me to do? Make your own! I found this recipe in a women’s magazine (sorry I don’t know which one) and have been hanging on to it for the last couple of months just waiting for our first hot day to surprise DH with a cold treat.
This weekend proved to be the perfect opportunity to try it out. I was a bit skeptical at first. There are only 5 to 6 ingredients in this recipe. Had I really been paying 3 or 4 bucks for something this easy? I think so. And if you already drink coffee and have a little leftover each time then you are already one step ahead. Try it for yourself and see what you think…
Iced Mocha Frappe’
- 1/3 c. cold strong brewed coffee (just use a little more if using regular strength coffee)
- 1/3 c. whole milk (or if you want to lower the fat/calories try 2% milk)
- 1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 c. ice cubes (I just used the crushed ice feature on my fridge to be kind to my rather old blender. I would really love this one. Any recommendations?)
- Cool Whip or Whipping Cream (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings for Garnishing (optional)
***This recipe has about 125 calories and 3 g of fat before adding whipped cream.
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and the ice is completely crushed. If you are using real whipping cream it will take about 3-4 minutes using a handheld mixer on high to get semi-stiff peaks to form.
Enjoy! And know you’ve saved yourself some money, aren’t consuming something with who knows what in it and who knows how many zillions of calories. Yum, so delicious!