It’s all in the name. Or so I’ve heard. So I can’t figure out why Woman’s Day magazine named this luscious yet light lemony spaghetti with vegetables “Spaghetti with Shaved Veggies.” Sorry but it sounds bland, and this recipe is NOT bland. They are the professionals, but the only reason I tried this recipe was because the picture looked delicious. If there had been no picture I highly doubt I would have tried out the recipe. And I would have missed out on a really great recipe. (Maybe they we’re counting on a picture being worth a thousand words???) Okay,enough with me being the word police, I’m just really hoping others won’t miss out on this recipe like I almost did.
Seriously. This recipe is my new favorite meatless recipe. It meets all my requirements for a keeper: tastes good (of course), doesn’t seem like its missing “something” (a.k.a. the meat), doesn’t leave me starving an hour later, is easy to make, and one of the most important is that DH asks for me to make it again. With this recipe DH actually asked me without prompting to make it again. And it’s a pretty healthy recipe to boot, depending on your definition of healthy.
I can totally imagine having this at our old favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City, Tucci’s. (Sounds like Two Cheese.) Oh how I miss that place! It was this great family run restaurant and one of the waiters actually knew our names and always stopped by to say hi. They made the BEST Shrimp Puttanesca with a dash of white wine! MMMM! Well since I won’t be making a pit stop to SLC anytime soon unfortunately, I guess I’ll have to settle for this lemony spaghetti served with a salad and maybe some HM bread sticks.
“Okay, okay” you’re probably thinking, “I know you love this recipe, get on with it already!” Okay, here you go, seriously try it if you like lemon at all. Happy eating (=
Easy Lemon-y Spaghetti & Veggies
- 1 lb. Zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 lb. Carrots, peeled
- 1 box (1 lb.) Spaghetti (I used Whole Wheat)
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Grated Lemon Zest (I actually used a bit more, I wanted a bit more intensity)
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Juice (I increased this just a bit more too, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Shaved Parmesan
- Bring a 5-6 qt. pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, if zucchini are long, halve crosswise. Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini and carrots into ribbons.
- Cook pasta until al dente as package directs. Add zucchini and carrot shavings to the pasta pot. Cook 1 minute or until vegetables are just tender. Remove and reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in same pot used to cook pasta. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Return pasta and veggies to pot. Add lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper; toss. Add enough reserved pasta water to create a thin sauce. (I only used about a 1/4 of a cup.) Top with parmesan to taste.
Per Serving: 488 calories, 16 g protein, 79 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 13 g fat (8 g sat fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium.