Our cucumber harvest is finally coming in-yay! And while I find it hard to beat slicing up a cuke fresh from the garden and sprinkling with some S&P a girl can only eat so many. Variety is the spice of life, after all! Here’s two ways we’ve used up all those gloriously refreshing green veggies coming out of the garden. Got any favorite ways you like to eat them???
Easy Cuke Salad Toss
- 1 Large Cucumber, chopped
- 1 C. Tomatoes, chopped (cherry or grape are esp. yummy)
- 1/4 C. finely chopped red onions (depending on how strong they are)
- 3 Tbs. Italian Dressing
- 1 Tbs. Chopped Fresh Basil (optional)
Toss all ingredients together and enjoy!
This second recipe I just found on Prudent Baby. (One of my favorite sites. I’m sure I’ve mentioned them before.) They really are so easy and I love that you get some veggies in a yummy treat! Sneaky, sneaky!
Cucumber Mint Popsicles
- 1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 C. “Simple Syrup” (Take 1/2 C. Sugar, 1/2 C. Water, and a a handful of muddled mint and bring to a boil. Strain out the mint and let cool.) ***The mint is optional. I didn’t have mint, but these were really tasty anyways. I bet you could also try mint extract and get a good result here.
- Juice of one lemon (or use 2 Tbs. of Real Lemon Juice instead)
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Warning: My food processor has little holes in the sides so the first whir I gave it sent liquid flying all over the countertop. So check yours for holes or my recommendation is go with an immersion blender. The immersion blender ended up being the secret tool for me.
2. Pour the mix into molds, cups or whatever you have handy and freeze. Ours took about 3-4 hours to really set firm.
3. Enjoy (=