It’s apple season!
Red Delicious, McIntosh, Braeburns, Gala, Granny Smith, and Gold Delicious….mmm! (Kinda makes me wanna make some more subway art!) And I know for some of you it’s also back to school time too. When I wake up in the mornings it’s actually a little cool and I can almost feel Fall in the air. It’s also time for me to start my pre-baby baking. So I figured I would start with these yummy Apple Date Bars. I found the recipe last year at Whole Foods while I was shopping their apple sale. It’s apple-y, cinnamon-y, and oh so tasty! I modified the original recipe by switching to whole wheat flour and baking it in an 8×11 sized pan. So while you can use regular all-purpose flour, I think it tastes WAY better with the whole wheat. It just adds something.
***These babies freeze exceptionally well for up to two months. So I would definitely recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe and getting “your money’s worth” so to speak.
APPLE DATE BARS
- 5 Tbs. butter (I prefer unsalted)
- 2/3 C. Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs. 2% Milk
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1-1/3 C. All Purpose Flour (try whole wheat for a little extra flavor)
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 C. Walnut Pieces
- 1/2 C. Dried Dates Pitted and Chopped
- 1/2 c. Apples peeled and chopped
- 1 Large Egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×11 inch pan.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the egg and milk. Stir in the apples.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, mix thoroughly. Stir in the nuts and dates.
- Spread dough into greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 2-inch square bars.
Nutritional Info (based on all-purpose flour, whole wheat would probably help some with this): Total calories 104; Calories from Fat 30; Total Fat 3g; Saturated Fat 0g; Cholesterol 11 mg; Sodium 47 mg; Carbohydrates 18g; Sugar 10 g; Protein 1g.